Today we are going to discuss something very interesting about our kid’s health. Allergy is a very broad word and some ways can be termed as irritation or pitching. This irritation can be from food, dust, animals or things. Milk is one of the basic nutrients for infants, but do you really know It can have an allergic effect on our kids. Yes, it is a milk allergy that can be found in our child It is an abnormal response by the body’s immune system to milk and products containing milk. It is mainly caused by cow milk but also can be caused by the milk of other mammals such as buffalos, goats, and sheep.
This type of allergic reaction takes few minutes or hours to act after talking. Its symptoms can be acute or mild. The apparent symptoms of milk allergic reaction are vomiting, hive, and digestive problem. The server one is anaphylaxis and It is dangerous on for our beloved child.
Very harsh words for such kids are avoidance of milk. Many children overcome milk allergy but those who do not they should leave the milk and products made of milk.
Milk Allergy Symptoms:
Most visible symptoms of milk allergy appear in few minutes or hours after taking milk or milk products. These symptoms can be easily judged by parents. Below are some common clues.
- Hives: Swollen or pale red bumps on the body.
- Wheezing: It is a whistling sound in a breath.
- Vomiting: Sudden through of eaten food from mouth and nose.
Signs and symptoms that may take more time to develop:
- Yellow colored Loose Motions
- Abdominal cramps
- Coughing or wheezing
- Runny nose or flu
- Eye filled with water
- Skin rashes around child’s mouth.
- Colic, in babies
Difference between Allergy and Milk Protein Intolerance.
Do not be confused. Milk protein intolerance is way different from an allergy. There is no any role of immune system in milk intolerance. It has different symptoms and treatments. Its symptoms are bloating, gas, diarrhea and a digestive problem can occur.
Let’s now discuss some anaphylaxis. It is a very severed condition that narrows the breath canal, thus stopping the breath. Milk is the third most common food, after peanuts and tree nuts, to cause anaphylaxis. Immediately look for doctor if you or your child is in such reaction. It is a medical emergency and requires urgent treatment admit in emergency room. Signs of such emergency are:
- Narrowness of airway, swollen in throat and difficulty in breathing.
- Redness of face.
- Irritation or itching on body.
- Shock, Lowering of blood pressure.
When to see doctor
Look for a doctor or allergist in such reaction in your beloved infant within no time. Doctor will take some diagnostic test and advise you with treatments. In severe cases immediately go to the hospital in emergency room.
Common Milk Allergy Causes:
As stated earlier in above paragraph main cause of food allergy is immune system malfunctioning. The immune system considers some milk proteins as harmful, thus activating the production of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies to neutralize the protein (allergen). Whenever, you interact with these proteins, IgE antibodies remember them and flag your immune system to discharge histamine and other chemicals, causing a scope of hypersensitive(allergic) signs and symptoms. Two main protein in cow milk are written below
- Casein, found in the solid part of milk that cause thickness
- Whey, found in the liquid part of milk that remains after milk curdles
Any one kind of protein can make your infant allergic or sometimes both. These proteins also present in some milk products. And, people allergic with cow milk also show reluctance to other as sheep, goats, and buffalos.
Below are the few Risk factors of milk allergic reaction or protein milk allergy.
- Allergies. Many children also may have other allergies. Protein allergy is the basic one.
- Atopic dermatitis. It is burn on skin or irritating effects. Children with this may leads to develop food allergy.
- Family history. Milk allergic reaction allergy can be inherited i.e. such as hay fever, asthma, hives or eczema.
- Age: This allergic reaction depends on our age. As your infant grow old. Immune system matures and start accepting milk.
Few complications to Children who are allergic to milk may occur such as.
- Children become allergic with other foods such as egg allergy.
- Hay fever — a common reaction to pet dander, dust mites, grass pollen and other substances
These are few planning to see the doctor or allergist-immunologist
- You should be aware of the doctor advice. Act upon everything as suggested by the specialist.
- Take a note of signs and symptoms that occur to infant.
- Take previous medication slip along with you.
- Be confident and ask questions to doctor regarding your infant health condition.
Below are few questions:
- Please clarify the difference between milk allergy and milk protein intolerance. My beloved child is having milk allergy or something else?
- Is it possible to overcome this allergy?
- Are there treatments?
- What foods do you recommend?
- Recommend milk foods?
- Is it mandatory to stay away from all those who take milk as diet?
- what is the basic information that need to be told to others about my child’s allergic condition?
- How can milk allergy best be managed with other conditions?
It is not very easy to detect such food allergic reaction. Which food is mainly the cause of it? Below are few diagnostics.
- Acquire complete knowledge of its signs.
- Take a visual look at infant’s physical condition.
- Keep an eye on foods that your baby is eating.
- Make a list of elimination diet plan for your baby. Look for milk word is there.
A specialist should recommend following medical tests.
- Skin test. This test is mostly not accurate but many specialists recommend this. In this test skin test is slightly priced and exposed to protein. Hive bumps occur.
- Blood test. As described earlier this allergy is because of the immune system. So, the Blood test is required to measure the response of a baby immune system to milk. It also measures the amount of immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. Positive results of the test show the confirmation of milk allergy or protein allergy. A specialist will take the final decision.
Milk Allergy Treatment:
Simple treatment of such allergic reactions is stopping using milk and milk protein. However, there are many products made by milk. Many people with milk allergy can tolerate the milk in other forms. Heated milk and yogurt can be accepted by many people. Keep sticky with the doctor advice. In rare case, your infant consumed milk and other products. Take medications such as antihistamines. This will help in reducing signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction. An antihistamine will surely help to reduce the mild allergic reaction.It is highly recommended to seek emergency treatment in case of anaphylaxis.
Dealing with Milk allergy
Having a child with serious milk reaction is the very stressful thing. Be, patience, discuss with other family members. Also, share your baby’s health condition in his/her school. And do not get yourself depressed. Ask other parents to seek home advice. Join a community at your living place. Tell all your fellows not to bring milk products to your home. Ask your doctor if there are any support groups in your area, or contact the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, If you are living in the United States.
Preventive Measures of Milk Allergy:
It is common sense that prevents us from diseases. Use your common sense to refrain your kid from milk and milk product. Take extreme care of child food. Do not shout on your child. Select milk free product. Make a list of milk free foods for your cute child. Read the labels of foods carefully. Double check the shopped foods.
Many products may Labels as “Milk Free” Or “dairy Free” but actually they include very little amount. In case of doubt, ask the manufacturer of the product for ingredients.
Sources of milk products
Obvious sources of allergy-causing milk proteins are found in dairy products, including:
- Ice cream, gelato
- Butter or anything like cheese
Hidden sources of milk include:
- Ingredients spelled with the prefix “lact” — such as lactose and lactate
- Candies, such as chocolate, nougat, and caramel
- Protein Powders
- Artificial butter flavor
- Artificial cheese flavor
Also, keep an eye on the cooking process of foods. Some foods need milk as helping verb in some cases. So, you should know the foods list.
Milk alternatives for infants:
As far as your kid physical health is most important part of your life. Milk to is the most important ingredient of your kid’s health. Milk contains a lot of minerals that are very important for growth. Infect at this very little age there is no food other then milk. Breastfeeding is alternative of the casual cow or goat milk. Mother milk is one thousand percent safe for your baby. Feed your baby with your own milk. This eliminates all kind of milk allergy.
Research and study revealed that breastfeeding of first six months is the best. Two years of breastfeeding are sufficient for whole life. Do not start cow milk formulas at the earlier stage of children. Hypoallergenic formula is also available.
- Hypoallergenic formulas
- Soy-based formulas
Read this case study also for your beloved child health