All you need to know about Prostate
Though the prostate gland isn’t necessary for living, it is for reproduction. The most common question men have is related to the prostate- specifically how to keep prostate cancer at bay. This is why maintaining prostate health is so important for men.
What is Prostate?
Prostate is a gland that is found in male species and weighs about 30 grams. It is located below the gallbladder, right before the rectum. It plays an integral role in the male reproductive system.
The official meaning of Prostate is “one who stands before.” This refers to the location of this gland in the reproductive system. If you look at it from below, the urethra comes out of it and the bladder is behind it.
Structure of the Prostate:
This gland is covered by several tissues and muscle fibers which make the gland feel elastic when you touch it. There are mainly four layers or zones present in the prostate, surrounding the urethra. These layers are usually compared to those of onions:
- Transition zone – The smallest part surrounding the urethra. It is this part of the prostate that grows throughout a male’s life.
- Central zone – This part makes up a quarter of the prostates mass and is a layer around the ejaculatory ducts.
- Peripheral zone – This is found in the back of the prostate and contains most of its tissues.
- Anterior fibromuscular zone or the stroma – This is what makes up the prostate capsule and consists of muscular and fibrous tissues.
Functions of the Prostate:
- The biggest function is to produce the fluid for semen. The prostatic fluid secretion and the testicular sperm cells mix to make what we know as sperms. It’s this fluid that is responsible for successful reproduction.
- Protect and block the urethra during ejaculation. The prostate does this prevent semen from entering the bladder.
- Secretes the biologically active form of testosterone, Dihydrotestosterone, or DHT.
Now that you know about the prostate, take good care of it by using products like Prostrate Edge. These products ensure that your prostate is in good shape.